Musician, Composer, Educator
email@example.com / (204) 573-2055
MASTER OF MUSIC, JAZZ PERFORMANCE, SAXOPHONE – Brandon University School of Music, 2014
(GPA 4.03, Brandon University Gold Medal in Master of Music)
BACHELOR OF MUSIC, JAZZ PERFORMANCE, SAXOPHONE – Brandon University School of Music, 2011 (GPA 3.70, Graduated With Distinction)
· Professor Greg Gatien, Brandon University (saxophone, jazz history, jazz improvisation, small jazz group, large jazz ensemble)
· Professor Michael Cain, Brandon University (jazz composition, small jazz group, large jazz ensemble, jazz improvisation)
· Professor Eric Platz, Brandon University (jazz styles, small jazz ensemble)
· Dr. Wendy McCallum, Brandon University (music education, wind ensemble, symphonic band)
Music Instructor, 2015-Present – Firefly Music Lessons
· One-on-one saxophone, voice, flute, and piano instruction
Part-Time Faculty Member, 2014-2015 – Brandon University School of Music
· Aural and Keyboard Skills III/IV (jazz stream)
· Saxophone Pedagogy
· Small Jazz Ensemble
Saxophone Instructor, 2008-2015 – Eckhardt-Gramatté Conservatory of Music
· One-on-one saxophone instruction
Graduate Assistant, 2012-2014 – Brandon University
· Co-director for small jazz groups and the Brandon University Big Band
Solfège and Aural Skills Assistant, 2009-2011 – Brandon University
· Tester and grader for undergraduate students on material from Solfège and Aural Skills
Sing! Sing! Sing! Instructor, Summer 2012, Summer 2013 – Brandon University Mini U
· Creator and instructor for a summer day camp course on singing popular music
Music Instructor, Summer 2010 – Penhold Air Cadet Summer Training Centre
· One-on-one saxophone, clarinet and flute lessons, group aural skills class
CHICAGO - Flin Flon, MB, 2013. Musical director Crystal Kolt.
FOOTLOOSE - Virden, MB, 2013. Musical director Brent Campbell.
A CHORUS LINE - Brandon, MB, 2009. Musical director Matt Duboff.
BANDS - Current
Shannon is the bandleader, songwriter/composer, vocalist and keyboardist in her self-named original project. Her brand of neo-soul features lush & satisfying jazz harmony, relateable lyrics and head-bobbing horn lines reminiscent of her influences Steely Dan, Moonchild, and Icelandic soul group Moses Hightower. Bringing vocals, keys and woodwinds, Shannon makes smooth, melancholy and refreshing soul centered on themes of love, hindsight, self-contemplation and breaking bad habits. Honesty and vulnerability are an essential part of Shannon's practice.
After opening for LA neo-soul trio Moonchild at the Drake Hotel with her band, Shannon will be focused on recording.
* Shannon has returned to her own name after experimenting with band names in 2017. Past gigs under the name Shannon Chapman, the Shannon Chapman Band and LAZULA are all the same project. *
MEGACITY SWING BAND
Shannon has held the first tenor chair in the Megacity Swing Band, a Toronto community pro/am big band, since the fall of 2015. Under the direction of local music educator and composer/arranger Gary Martin, Shannon is an active soloist in the ensemble.
BRENT MILLER LIVE
As a member of a wedding band team managed by wedding industry pro Brent Miller, Shannon performs at weddings throughout the GTA, both as a solo musician and in duos, trios, or full bands. Brent and Shannon work together with the clients to custom-tailor a playlist for their ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner hour, and dance.
BANDS - Past or Occasional
SHRINEHOUSE - Amy Winehouse Tribute - backing vocals, keys, sax
VIOLETA'S DOOR - R&B/soul covers and originals - backing vocals, sax, flute
BACKTRACK BAND - blues/motown covers - sax
BLACKBOARD BLUES BAND - blues/motown covers - sax