Shannon chapman - musician, composer, educator
email@example.com / (204) 573-2055
MASTER OF MUSIC, JAZZ PERFORMANCE, SAXOPHONE – Brandon University School of Music, 2014
(GPA 4.03, Brandon University Gold Medal in Master of Music)
BACHELOR OF MUSIC, JAZZ PERFORMANCE, SAXOPHONE – Brandon University School of Music, 2011 (GPA 3.70, Graduated With Distinction)
· Professor Greg Gatien, Brandon University (saxophone, jazz history, jazz improvisation, small jazz group, large jazz ensemble)
· Professor Michael Cain, Brandon University (jazz composition, small jazz group, large jazz ensemble, jazz improvisation)
· Professor Eric Platz, Brandon University (jazz styles, small jazz ensemble)
· Dr. Wendy McCallum, Brandon University (music education, wind ensemble, symphonic band)
Music Instructor, 2015-Present – Firefly Music Lessons
· One-on-one saxophone, voice, flute, and piano instruction
Part-Time Faculty Member, 2014-2015 – Brandon University School of Music
· Aural and Keyboard Skills III/IV (jazz stream)
· Saxophone Pedagogy
· Small Jazz Ensemble
Saxophone Instructor, 2008-2015 – Eckhardt-Gramatté Conservatory of Music
· One-on-one saxophone instruction
Graduate Assistant, 2012-2014 – Brandon University
· Co-director for small jazz groups and the Brandon University Big Band
Solfège and Aural Skills Assistant, 2009-2011 – Brandon University
· Tester and grader for undergraduate students on material from Solfège and Aural Skills
Sing! Sing! Sing! Instructor, Summer 2012, Summer 2013 – Brandon University Mini U
· Creator and instructor for a summer day camp course on singing popular music
Music Instructor, Summer 2010 – Penhold Air Cadet Summer Training Centre
· One-on-one saxophone, clarinet and flute lessons, group aural skills class
MEGACITY SWING BAND
Shannon has held the first tenor chair in the Megacity Swing Band, a Toronto community pro/am big band, since the fall of 2015. Under the direction of local music educator and composer/arranger Gary Martin, Shannon is an active soloist in the ensemble.
BRENT MILLER LIVE
As a member of a wedding band team managed by wedding industry pro Brent Miller, Shannon performs at weddings throughout the GTA, both as a solo musician and in duos, trios, or full bands. Brent and Shannon work together with the clients to custom-tailor a playlist for their ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner hour, and dance.
Shannon is the bandleader, songwriter/composer, vocalist and keyboardist in LAZULA.
At once tender and soulful, funky and driving, LAZULA is an original neo-soul quartet based in Toronto. The band's sound centres on lush jazz harmony and satisfying grooves, shuttling the listener from soulful verse to driving chorus with ease.
Leader Shannon's original songs combine raw, honest lyrics with a sonic palette influenced by the sounds of jazz, neo-soul, R&B, and pop. From their first performances, the group quickly evoked comparisons to Steely Dan, Moonchild, and Stevie Wonder.
Highlights for the band include an opening slot for LA neo-soul trio Moonchild on the sole Canadian date on their Voyager Tour at The Drake Underground, June 4 2017.